HCO self-advocates, staff, and family members recently visited the Minnesota State Capitol to attend disability services rallies for ARC and ARRM Days at the Capitol. Two buses of 45 people (90 total) signed up to attend one (or both) of the trips. Advocates attended and spoke in support of the Best Life Alliance Bill SF6/HF179. On both trips, advocates: attended the rally in the rotunda, held appointments with local legislators, and dropped off information packets to those who were unavailable to meet.
ARC Day: Tuesday, February 19th
During meetings with legislators at their morning appointments, various HCO representatives shared their experiences and concerns:
- Two individuals and one support staff spoke on their specific care needs and how staff assist them in their daily lives
- One individual living independently talked about the importance of the few hours of service she receives each week and how it helps her to remain independent
- One staff spoke on supporting an individual with end of life care and the toll it takes on staff (watch the video here)
ARRM Day: Tuesday, March 12th
At ARRM Day, an individual served by HCO introduced Senator Miller at the rally on stage in front of over 1,000 people! When meeting with legislators at their afternoon appointments, HCO representatives spoke on numerous topics:
- One individual shared how they are able to live independently because of staff support
- One staff spoke on her experiences currently supporting 13 individuals who live independently and how the people she has supported for the past 18 years have impacted her life. She now has two daughters that also work for the agency.
- One staff spoke on providing care to a young man with challenging behaviors and how they support him in order to keep him out of crisis so that he can continue to live in his community
Video Link for ARRM Day at the Capitol/Best Life Alliance can be found here.